Friday, June 4, 2010

New Pet

Noah has a new pet.  We went for a walk yesterday and he spotted a huge, hairy caterpillar on the sidewalk.  It looked like a feather to me.  He immediately had to pick the creature up, ever so gently, and let him crawl up and down his arm, around on his back, up on his neck, up and over his head!  It was amazing!  Of course it was now his pet.  He had to take him home.  Daddy would want to see it.  What will we name him?  "Charris" Noah replied.  His name is Charris.  "I want him to sleep with me in my bed.  I think he will like my bed, do you mommy?  And he'll want to jump on the trampoline with me."

So we took him home, looked on the internet to find out how to build a caterpillar habitat, and Noah played with him for two hours straight.  I remembered we had a butterfly habitat from my mom.  Perfect!  We made it nice and homey and caterpillar-friendly.  The only problem was getting Noah to part with Charris.  We had to remind him that Charris's job is to become a butterfly, and that he will need to stay in his home to do so.  He will need to be left alone so that he can build his cocoon.  So we went on You Tube and looked at tons of videos on how caterpillars build cocoons, and the whole process of metamorphosis.  He was so excited! 

So today we woke up and couldn't find Charris.  Oh, there he is!  He's already building his cocoon under one of the flowers we placed in his home :)

No comments: