Monday, August 16, 2010

Superheroes

I wondered when and if the time would come, and now it has.  I officially have a superhero fanatic on my hands.  Noah saw "Spiderman" at grandma's and is now hooked.  It's all about Spiderman...wanting to watch the movie over and over again, acting out spiderman wherever he goes, finding spiderman-ish things everywhere (like at twirly park, all the ropes to climb on are now "spiderwebs").  He even got a blow-up spiderman doll at the fair, who slept with us last night in our bed LOL.  I use to be so worried about movies and characters, but it's actually pretty cool to see how he incorporates different aspects of the movie and character into all his play.  He is inspired by the superhero and uses scenarios from the movie as a jumping off point for more imaginative play. 

Also, one of Noah's favorite things to do these days is play dress up, so we are eagerly awating his spiderman costume to come in the mail.  He asks constantly when it will come.  If he approaches this like his Cat in the Hat costume, I have a feeling I won't have to worry about buying clothes for awhile!  He wore the Cat costume *everywhere* to the point where I forgot he was wearing it unless a stranger commented on it.  The other day, in burning hot weather, Noah wore his Tigger costume to the mall to buy new shoes.  I wish I had a picture of him skipping through the mall in his too-small Tigger costume, hiked up his crotch and bum bum and ready for a flood, with light-up green tennis shoes.  WOW. 

I love this independent, creative stage of his life.  It's really neat to just sit back and let his own "fashion sense" and personal identity evolve.  I don't ever want to be one of those moms who tells her child what to wear or how to wear their hair, etc.  I love to see him blossom and develop all on his own, according to his own tastes and preferences.  I think that's so important.  Hehe last week he wore his too-small, tight-in-the-crotch favorite monster shorts pajamas, flip-open monkey sunglasses, my old pastel flower purse, and his fake ugg boots to the library.  He was so confident and thought he looked so cool (he really did;) and couldn't give a hoot about what other people thought of him.  Oh yeah, and his red painted nails.  I hope he always thinks for himself and marches to the beat of his own drum. 

2 comments:

Julie said...

Noah at the mall was certainly a sight to see, and it brought back fond memories. He is so like his Uncle in his love of dress up. He is a lucky boy to have such a nuturing, respectful mom. xoxo

Laura said...

Aw thanks mom! We are lucky to have YOU and that you taught us not to give a rat's a** about what other people think LOL! He is definitely a carbon copy of his uncle!